Ruth from Makey-Cakey was our March 2013 Daring Bakers' challenge host. She encouraged us all to get experimental in the kitchen and sneak some hidden veggies into our baking with surprising and delicious results!
This month I managed to actually do THREE of these different recipes which is unusual for me to do. Normally I scrape by doing the challenge. I thought I'd keep a theme throughout them all too - Zucchini. I started with a Zucchini bread which turned out great. I really like it and especially with the added deliciousness of apple as well.
The second attempt was a German recipe that I had found in a cookbook I inherited from my landlord. I had the realization that one of the big differences between Australian (and American and British) baking is the use of eggs. Germans generally use eggs as their raising agent where we would use baking powder or baking soda. The recipe called for 4 eggs - separated and whipped up first and then combined. The result was almost a souffle type of a cake. It also had a strong lemon flavor and was dotted with glace cherries. I unfortunately wasn't a fan of this loafy cake, but people in the office enjoyed it!
My third attempt was like a Lemon Poppy Seed cake from BBC Good Food website called Courgette and Lemon Cake. It was really nice although I did it in the wrong size pan. I took that to Hauskreis and wasn't able to get any photographic evidence. It didn't quite look like the picture, but seriously tasted good!
No comments:
Post a Comment