I've tried my hand at something different. Here in Germany its all about "Torten" a sort of pie/cake thing resembling Cheesecake but not necessarily involving any sort of Cheese. They use both granulated Gelatine and gelatine leaves which I had never even seen before arriving here. Cake in the sense that I know it, does exist, but not as popularly as these various torten.
Not having had much experience with gelatine at all, my Buttermilk Torte was an experiment from start to finish. I did everything wrong with the gelatine, and kept looking at it in the fridge to see if it was going to set....poking my finger in and praying that by the time I woke up this morning it would be set enough to travel to work. (on my bike no less!) Thankfully, I woke up and it was blissfully set. I used a baked biscuit base and topped it off with some Cherry compot. (of sorts)
Its a big hit here in the office and a bit of a confidence boost for my gelatine trials. Generally, projects like this are only to use up ingredients that I have opened and dont really know what to do with. This fit the bill perfectly using up my Buttermilk ( also a tempermental ingredient but thats for another day)
Not having had much experience with gelatine at all, my Buttermilk Torte was an experiment from start to finish. I did everything wrong with the gelatine, and kept looking at it in the fridge to see if it was going to set....poking my finger in and praying that by the time I woke up this morning it would be set enough to travel to work. (on my bike no less!) Thankfully, I woke up and it was blissfully set. I used a baked biscuit base and topped it off with some Cherry compot. (of sorts)
Its a big hit here in the office and a bit of a confidence boost for my gelatine trials. Generally, projects like this are only to use up ingredients that I have opened and dont really know what to do with. This fit the bill perfectly using up my Buttermilk ( also a tempermental ingredient but thats for another day)
No comments:
Post a Comment