The month of June held the hightlight of the visit to the ship. I made the long (ish) journey from Germany to the small town of San Fernando, Philippines. This was pretty much with all modes of transportation except for live ones :) - no animals ridden quite yet!! Starting out with the ever efficient German Trains, flights, a taxi, a bus, and last but not least a moped taxi. Oh, and of course, I have been on a ship! I would have ridden my bike to the train station but with my luggage, it was a little awkward.
I think I was in transit for about 30 hours... with rather very little sleep which is the norm for me. I have been to the Philippines once before, visiting with another of our ships, Manila, Bacolod and Cebu. Its a very friendly nation with people everywhere who seemingly ask direct question ( "whats your name?" "how old are you?" and "are you married?" are the first three questions you seemingly get asked without hesitation!). I've made it to the back end of Mango season which delights me to no end. I wish I could do more with it! It flashes me back to growing up with a yard full of mango trees.
So, despite the epic long trip, I made it on board and caught up with a few of my remaining friends on board. Its been 2 1/2 years since I have been on our ship and with the change of people, very few are still around that I knew back then.
I was on board for some meetings and then a training conference for my department. I taught a couple of sessions ( rather basic ones - reporting and financial management!) which were rather... interesting. I was more excited about getting to know the people in my department. These are also new people that I dont know really much at all.
I think I was in transit for about 30 hours... with rather very little sleep which is the norm for me. I have been to the Philippines once before, visiting with another of our ships, Manila, Bacolod and Cebu. Its a very friendly nation with people everywhere who seemingly ask direct question ( "whats your name?" "how old are you?" and "are you married?" are the first three questions you seemingly get asked without hesitation!). I've made it to the back end of Mango season which delights me to no end. I wish I could do more with it! It flashes me back to growing up with a yard full of mango trees.
So, despite the epic long trip, I made it on board and caught up with a few of my remaining friends on board. Its been 2 1/2 years since I have been on our ship and with the change of people, very few are still around that I knew back then.
I was on board for some meetings and then a training conference for my department. I taught a couple of sessions ( rather basic ones - reporting and financial management!) which were rather... interesting. I was more excited about getting to know the people in my department. These are also new people that I dont know really much at all.
| Sailing to Subic Bay |
No comments:
Post a Comment