Saturday, January 26, 2013

Spekulaas

I know I have been absent - but first post back in 2013 is a Daring Baker one!!
 Francijn of Koken in de Brouwerij was our January 2013 Daring Bakers' Hostest and she challenged us to make the traditional Dutch pastry, Gevulde Speculaas from scratch! That includes making our own spice mix, almond paste and dough! Delicious!


I was a little apprehensive about this challenge especially since it called for Mace which I had never seen before. I did a quick substitution for Nutmeg and it turned out great. Its a bit tricky to roll out and ended up pressing it into the pan, but everyone enjoyed it which was nice! Its not as ginger-y as I thought it would be -- going off the Spekulaas cookies I have had in Germany, but it was really yummy all the same!
 

1 comment:

  1. Yours looks great! This was a really yummy challenge wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete