Friday, November 18, 2011

Back in the Kitchen

So I've been baking again. My friend Joy has brilliant recipes on her website every now and then and one that I couldnt pass up was her Salted Caramel Cheesecake. It was surprisingly easy, really, to make. Just a little bit of time. I made the base and caramel during the lunch hour and the cheesey part after German class on Monday ( since I had planned to take it to Hauskreis on Tuesday). It is a simple biscuit base and cheese and cream filling. The only thing that was a bit disappointing was that while it rose oh so nicely in the oven and I thought, whoo hoo! Yay for lots of Cheese in my cheesecake! It actually sunk quite thin. Perhaps I shouldnt have peeked at it to check if it was done but simply baked in faith. Perhaps I should have left the oven shut while it cooled... hmmm I dont know. I will try again, but half the base and double the cheese ( I have a beautiful New York Baked Cheesecake in my mind as the ultimate cheesecake!). Hopefully it will turn out a bit better. I seem to think I made a cheesecake while on furlough last year.. must find that recipe!

Cheesecake and the caramel that will grace the top!

Oh, I also made these Cinnamon Muffins ( they want to be Cinnamon Rolls)
I also made scones last night ( baking an entire cake didnt really seem appropriate at 930pm!) which I've only done once before here in Germany. That time, it didnt work so well... This time, I ran out of flour and had to use gluten free stuff. They turned out better, but not stellar. I'll give it another whirl sometime I think. Meanwhile, next project will be a beautiful butter cake with so much buttercream frosting... or wait, no, it will be a Blondie. My memories of Blondies arent so fond, (for some reason at school they really werent that nice!) but we got Reeces Peanut Butter cups shipped out especially so gotta give it a shot. Also on my list of things to learn to do is Fudge. Caramel Fudge. Without a Candy Thermometer I think its going to be tricky!

No comments:

Post a Comment