Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Airport Goodbyes

Its a blustery, cloudy, rainy, April type day today. One where you think you should have stayed in bed for. One where you'd like to be in a coffee shop with someone great chatting over beautiful cups of Cappucino, or just cozy in a corner with a great book. Makes me want to travel somewhere where Summer hasnt taken its vacation in Majorca and decided to stay the next few months.
Speaking of Travelling, my travels havent gotten me very far lately. Last week I travelled to the Black Forest area to meet up with people at TS. It was a great day. Unfortunately the pictures havent been obtained from the photographer of the day ( Sven!) so I cant post any here just yet. But it was great catching up with people who I hadnt seen in a while... does driving 90 mins count as travelling??
Similarly, does going to the airport and back count? S and I had our first airport goodbye this weekend as he flew to Aberdeen for his next rotation. Its a strange feeling to be surrounded by people also saying goodbye to thier loved ones, knowing that while your goodbye is actually only for a little while, thier's could be a lot longer. Airport goodbyes are slightly different from Train Station ones, but probably becasue there is the added pressure of getting through security and immigration as well as making the flight on time. Someone is always a bit more nervous... ok, perhaps its just me who is nervous about flying. I would think S is cool as a cucumber when it comes to most things. But then being trained by a well seasoned traveller would do that...

Going through Immigration at 1:50pm you would be risking missing your flight,
but if you went through at 1:45pm, I'd call that comfortable.

Interesting how those 5 minutes is the different between "comfortable" and "flight missed". I'm a girl who likes a bit of buffer. Waiting at the gate for 30 mins? no worries. I'll find my gate and wander around for 20 minutes. Apparently the packing craze 2 hours before we left home was something I needed to experience. (as its always that way) Little do they know that my packing only gets completed 30 mins before I walk out the door. Oh, the majority is done the night before, but rarely do I wake up and not have things to squeeze into my bag. The only time I've cut it close to missing a flight (outside of connections being messed up due to airline fault) was in Chicago and the worst traffic I've ever seen.
Anyways, I have a feeling these airport goodbyes will be happening a bit more frequently in the future. Hopefully I'm the one doing the flying though!
Next travels: Netherlands!

No comments:

Post a Comment