Friday, August 26, 2011

Week of Teens Just Like Me!

I have lots to write about but really, I've been procrastinating because I dont know exactly how to start. I'm currently sick with a cold which is a pain as its been really warm over the past few days here in Southern Germany. Like 35°C. Which, by my standards is lovely and warm when you're healthy and can enjoy it. But when your head is a little stuffed up, you cant sleep because of wracking coughs and you just feel, in general, crappy, its not the best. But enough whinging, and down to my latest travels!



Back in 2008 I had been introduced to a concept called MTO. This was simply an idea that was presented to me as " oh, you'd be great to have at MTO with your background! " What is MTO? well, its a camp for the teens whose parents work for my same company. They are often what we call TCKs ( Third Culture Kids) and live strange lives that few understand...unless you are in the club yourself.

Growing up in West Africa qualifies me significantly to be part of this club, and so I was invited to be a leader at the camp in the Netherlands. Despite some wet weather, it was so much fun. A great chance to see what the hype was all about. About 90 kids, mainly from Europe although some others from a bit further away came for a week together - many had been to MTO before and it was like a brilliant reunion after not seeing each other for a year. I naturally, felt a bit lost my first day as I knew no one except for.. well, two teens and Dan and Suzie ( MTO coordinators). But after connecting with my small group, getting to know a few people in my room, I began to really enjoy it and the week of A LOT OF FUN began. Here's some snaps of what we got up to!Walibi Belgium (yes I can add another country to my list - BELGIUM! the Theme park was in another country) had the privelege of our attendance on the Monday... This is some of us waiting for the Bumper Cars. It was hilarious as only MTOers packed out the floor in our cars :) "Required Fun" was challenges involving races with only a certain number of body parts touching the ground. Creativity REQUIRED!!The woods on the grounds were essential in "Required Fun" and "Night Games"One night was "Ladies and Gents" night encouraging guys to act like Gentlemen and girls to accept like ladies. These beauties are waiting for their "gent" to come and invite them for dinner. It was a brilliant night. The guys picked a name out of a hat and walked over to the girls dorm to invite the girl to dinner.


This is my small group! Brilliant group of girls who I love! Taking the Picnic blanket was a TOP decision as the ground was wet 80% of the time :)


I am looking forward to staying in touch with some of those awesome teens and seeing them next year. I wont be the newbie any more! :) Towards the end of the camp ( through the help of ShhhhTime) it was impressed on me the importance of this week for these teens. This concept was something that I never had growing up but I know that had I had it, my experience would have been very different. I would wish that all organisations placed such an importance on the teens/kids in thier organisation. This is something I want to be involved in for as long as God lets me. Seriously.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post!
    Cool selection of pictures to give an idea about what MTO is like, and I'm really glad you enjoyed it!
    I'm so familiar with MTO now that I can barely even tell anymore what things that we do are strange or unique and what's just normal. Something I have noticed though is that 3/4/5 years ago everything was a lottt more cliquey but I think it's opened up a lot more- esp this last year.
    But again, it's much better seeing it from a fresh perspective without something to compare it to, what did you think of the atmosphere? Were there cliques forming do you think?

    ReplyDelete