Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Pieces of 'Home'

While the world is glued to their tv screens for the World Cup ( and my nation's team possibly going to hold the record for the worst game for the entire tournament), I realize that my time at home is slowly coming an end. Its not there yet, but we're on our way and i know that the next 6 weeks are going to fly by.

I know that I will miss my home. Although it is winter at the moment, there is an incredible amount of beauty around. Australian winters are typically wet and dreary - something I dislike with a passion as I dont like it being cold without a reason for it ( ie no snow!). But over the past week, its been pure blue skies with temperatures ranging from 8C to 18C which is fairly normal for a winter. The sunshine that pours in through the windows is wonderful and lights up the gum trees we have outside. My house is on a hill, overlooking a valley ( of sorts as the hill isnt that big!) and about 20 years ago we had sea views. But tall trees have now shrunk the view to just a short little span of blue on the horizon. The native bushes we have in our backyard which attract local birds. The Rainbow Lorikeets love our wattle bushes, birds that didnt snack in our garden before I left. Before I left, pink and gray Galahs loved to play in our gum trees along with the Magpies chortling thier unique songs. Every afternoon around 3pm, white streaks across the sky as White Cockatoos squark and settle in a tree after being disturbed from the field they were munching in. While Mosbach has beautiful bells that toll at different times of the day, the native birds here in Newcastle are something that I have and will miss.

I wanted to put a picture or two of these birds that grace our skies, but unfortunately since writing this ( and while waiting for the good day) its become dreary and rainy not the best for birds of any sort! So sadly, this post will be devoid of pictures. Sorry friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment