Tuesday, June 8, 2010

New Directions for "TravellingTrina"

My parents have been away for a few weeks now and I've really enjoyed being the culinary queen of the house. In saying that, I've discovered I wanna try more baking and as a result have been getting into it! I've already done quite a few scrum-diddlie-umptious little dishes which you can see the results on previous posts.

As my blog was originally for showcasing a bit of my travels ( wherever that may take me!), I thought I'd combine a bit of the travelling with my new found love of baking. My sister gave me a cook book of cakes and treats, and although I probably wont get to work through the entire book, I'm going to try to do as many as I can. My new aim for this blog is to incorporate cooking into it, with my writing, travelling and (very amateur) photo "making" :) With that, hopefully I'll be able to incorporate some of the local cuisine of the places I visit as well- me learning some of the local recipes to take with me!

With the baking I've been doing, I'm also finding different recipes in the books in the house and putting my hand to some old favorites but also to some new things that I get the impression my mum wanted to try but somehow didnt get around to it. Where do i get that impression from? The strange ingredients in the pantry that dont make up the "normal" shopping list! Examples? Chinese 5 spice.. something I've never even heard of but was surprised it was in the cupboard ( and pleased when I saw that my Sweet and Sour Pork recipe requested it!), Walnut Oil ( which I'm still not sure I'll use!) and Pesto ( which my sister detests!).
Despite all the cooking, I've discovered I have a dislike for Pork. I've not really eaten that much over the past 2.5 years being away from home, and as I've come back I've realized that I'm not a fan. A bit surprising, actually, since Sweet and Sour Pork is one of my all-time favorite chinese dish. We had some pork in the freezer as part of our meat stock and so I've already tried a plum sauce for it and so thought I'd do up the S&S for it. It turned out really lovely ( sorry no pics from that!) and i even made rice to go with it. I've definitely had my fill of rice while away, and havent really eaten it much in the past year- I stopped eating it, I had had enough! But it was ok with the S&S sauce and I enjoyed the pork hid in the sauce :D

On the agenda for the next trials: Caramel Mud Cake and an all Australian Lammington ( have to tackle the sponge for that!).

No comments:

Post a Comment