Friday, May 14, 2010

Uncovering the Past

My parents left this evening for their month long vacation and not 2 hours after thier departure, the phone rang. It was my mother's oldest brother, an uncle that I haven't talked to much or had much contact with. Anyway, I learnt a few things about my family, but most of all, more of the family tree that I dont know much of. The thing that tipped me off was the name " Rumbel" and one of my close friends in high school's Grandparents were Rumbels but I always thought they were Polish and I've always thought that my heritage was British ( combination of the Brit Isles). After asking my sister about it, I found that we have a family tree published in a book that goes back to an Andreas Rumbel who made his way over to Sydney, Australia way back in 1850. He made the journey from Nassau, Germany and his future wife, Christiana Seiffer, from Wurtenburg, arrived 4 years later. After searching through a rather thick book, I discovered that about 5 generations ago, there was Herr Rumbel who moved to Sydney and then his children then married into the Muddle family- quite surprisingly, there were quite a few Rumbels that married Muddles, but I suppose two families that had cousins marry each other wasn't that out of the ordinary. I've not been expanded out from the top where the tree goes ( just went up from me, not down from Andreas) to see how intricately the family is interwoven... which kinda sounds wierd! But I thought it was rather interesting to know that I see myself as moving back to Germany, and not that far from where part of my family came from. If I could further investigate that would be amazing, but rather unlikely! Something i did find rather unusual is that Andreas Rumbel's mothers maiden name was Scott... how german is that? Not much in my opinion!

Anyway, its interesting that Andreas and Christiana married and then lived in the town my mother lived in for all of her childhood. The family seem to have been there since 1856 til now. Impressive! I dont know if Rumbels live there any more, but... actually, lets find out! Yup, Rumbels still living in Dungog. Amazing what you can find! In the next few weeks I hope to find out about my Lynch side of the family as my uncle has already done some work digging around our family history. We'll see how that goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment