Our October 2012 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Suz of Serenely Full. Suz challenged us to not only tackle buttery and flaky puff pastry, but then take it step further and create a sinfully delicious Mille Feuille dessert with it. At home, we call it Vanilla slice and it is positively one of the best pastries ever!
I really enjoyed making this challenge. It ended up looking pretty messy and not all that glamourous, but really, everyone loved it. The pastry ended up cooking a bit more than I had wanted and I was worried about it getting too browned, but it was hard to figure out when it was done.
Assembly was also a messy affair, and the icing went everywhere. It was also a bit tricky to cut into but I loved the flavors as it reminded me so much of the Vanilla Slices we had in Australia.
Assembly was also a messy affair, and the icing went everywhere. It was also a bit tricky to cut into but I loved the flavors as it reminded me so much of the Vanilla Slices we had in Australia.
I'm glad you enjoyed the challenge. It's definitely a messy recipe to make! People on the forum have suggested freezing the mille feuille before cutting it up, which I'm going to do if I make it again. Anyway, your mille feuille looks delicious! Your pastry looks beautiful & I love that creamy filling. No wonder your colleagues were thrilled!
ReplyDeleteDesserts that you need to lick your fingers after eating always taste better! (At least that's my excuse for everything I cook being slightly messy ;o) This look really delicious though!
ReplyDeleteFabulous job! I really like the look of your cream - it looks so soft and creamy. Beautiful!
ReplyDelete