Monday, February 28, 2011

2 New Recipes

I had made some Apple muffins on Thursday night after my german class ( yes, i'm doing german!) for the monthly birthday celebration in the office on Friday, and had decided that I should be baking my way through my Cook book that my sister gave me while I was home on furlough. When that happens, then I can buy a new cookbook... so motivation is there! I know I had said I would try Apple Struedel, but then I remembered that I had done that while at home this summer. So strike that one off the list for now.
I scanned through my cookbook and Janae, my flat mate, had mentioned Saturday morning that we need to use the eggs up that were in the fridge. So I began to scan through the different recipes for something that uses up a fair amount of eggs. And what did I find? Biscotti!! I've never made it before although have enjoyed it in cafes and things back home. So Womens Weekly had a Lemon and Pistachio Biscotti recipe that I was keen to try. And here are the results!
The Before Pic
And Finished result! ( although they kinda look like Garlic breads!)
The other adventure I had on the weekend was making a cake that I have been wanting to for a while.... Schwarzwald Kirschtorte!!! ( also known as Black Forest Cake). When my dear adopted German mum, Charlotte, heard this, she said, "well, we'll just have to make one!" So we used Oma Bullinger's famous recipe ( at least in the Nicholas household) and turned out a really nice Torte. It didn't go 100% according to plan so we have to try again in the coming year... perhaps when there are more people at home ;) But it still tasted really yummy. So pleased I could make it! Thank you Charlotte! :)
The little one is without the Kirschwasser for little Ned who was visiting for Sunday Coffee and Cake.

2 comments:

  1. And BOY, it WAS(!!!!!!!!!!!) yummmy.... thanks again for using us as guinea pigs :o)))))) hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, WHAT A CAKE for a 2 1/2 year old!! Imagine what you'll make him when he's 8!! :) I wanna see pics of your apartment next!

    ReplyDelete