Sunday, August 1, 2010

Ich Liebe Es!

Yesterday I spent the better part of the day with three of my favorite boys- my adopted nephews :) It was the first day since my arrival that the clouds didnt make much of an appearance which was fantastic. The Summer that I had been waiting for had finally decided to show! Apparently it got up to 30C but honestly, it didnt feel like it at all! And for having spent most of the day in the sunshine, only applying sunscreen in the afternoon- I only got a little touch of sun! The amazing difference of the German sun to the Aussie one :)


Samy and Joshie decided to keep going on thier "salatsosse" that they had started the day before ( as shown in the pic) and preceeded to mix and feed each of the family. Manu tried his hand at it as well, although a little more supervision was required as he attempted to get a better look and tip the "dressing" all down his shirt. I've missed them a fair bit and although it took Samy a bit longer to warm up to me, Joshie wasnt shy as we kicked a soccer ball around the yard. Look out Stuttgart! There's a star going to head your way :)

Later in the afternoon, I decided to leave the boys to their devices ( after reading the newest addition to their Dr Seus collection- " Thidwick the Big-hearted Moose" - my personal favorite and my gift to Manu for his 1st Birthday), and return home. I'm house sitting for a family on vacation and they live only 5 mins walk from the nearest Aldi and 10 from the larger supermarket. I decided that, as stores are closed on Sunday, I should stock the fridge a bit more in order to survive the next couple of days! So, armed with shopping bags, I shopped through Aldi ( which has an amazing resemblance to the ones at home- seriously, the only difference would be the layout and a few products, but you can get that in the differences between Aldis within Newcastle!), buying what I needed and then going to Kaufland ( the larger one) for the rest. I managed to do it all without any problems, although, as the checkout chicks bid me farewell, there was something else that they said, to which I had no understanding but mumbled "Vielen Dank" and made my quick getaway!

Lavishing in the late sun ( I'm still getting used to the idea that at 4pm the sun is still as high as high as you'd expect at 1pm!), I rode around my new hometown, finding different routes around. When I was here 4 months ago, it was the dead of winter, and the path that I walked quite regularly now looked vastly different with the new foliage and growth! It was impressed on me how much I love the beauty that our Father has given us. In many ways, this town is so typically German and in an Australian mind's eye, so very European. I found this statue, thing, not quite sure why its on a back street, but Im sure that it shows the different Family Crests that used to live in the area, or something like that. The Mosbach Coat of Arms is not present, which makes me think that it is the families that started the town or something.

I was reminded as well, during my ride, one of the most visible differences between Germans and Australians-- in Australia, on even the most mildly sunny days, 90% of people walking around would be wearing sunglasses. We know the damage the sun can do to your eyes! ( not to mention causing wrinkles by squinting!) I was riding along the Elz river and passed several people, not the least of which a lady who called out to me ( or at least something I understood to be) " Klass, so wie klass!". My typical Aussie sunnies were seen as a fashion statement in this small town. Ah well, what can I say?? Nothing but, "hey lady, you're old and wrinkly from NOT wearing sunnies !!! " ha ha

No comments:

Post a Comment