Thursday, October 14, 2010

"Be Joyful Always"

Today I was reminded to "be joyful always". Joyful means to be full of joy as a person, or one's heart to be full of it. It also refers to causing or bringing joy... but what is Joy? A dictionary defines it as "the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying" and " a source or cause of keen pleasure or delight. Someone greatly valued or appreciated"

To be honest, I like the second one- being a source or cause of keen pleasure or delight. I am often told how lovey my smile is, and often i strive to smile under all circumstances. Now, this may get me into trouble sometimes ( and it has!) but in general, a smile diffuses a lot of tension. Thinking back to my purser days, just a smile at the beginning of a port clearance makes everyone seem more at ease. I've always wanted to be someone who makes others feel at ease within the first few moments of meeting. To be the one that makes others around me feel comfortable.

I have been told that I smile to much, and I have also been told don't stop smiling ( the latter most recently, as I'm in an environment where people don't see smiles enough). While the first comment shocked me to hear and did affect me as I wondered why that was, I realized that I can't stop smiling. That this smile is because the joy that I do have. Joy that I want to bring to those around me; "...and if necessary, use words". That is the end part of a well-know phrase that people I work with know.

I want to be known as " Joyful always". I know that circumstances dont always warrant it and that in moments of high stress (which I know will be coming in a few weeks time as my job gets more difficult!) it will be hard, but I still want to have that deep-set joy that supercedes simple happiness. I dont think joy and happiness is the same thing, you can be happy without having joy.

So while I strive to "be joyful always", I will share my smile with those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment